This post is not
about providing you a list because if you look, certainly you'll be able to
find lists upon lists of good books to read for both girls and boys. (Oh, and
I'm talking chapter books here-ages 7-12 or so)
What I'd like to
offer, is a little bit on what I've learned as a former Special Education
Teacher for fifteen years and currently as a soon-to-be chapter book author.
OK, I admit, I'm going to offer you an opinion.
However, this opinion is based on stuff, you know evidential stuff.
So, here it is. Good
to great children's books to read generally have similar elements. Of course, like any other creative work, each
one has something to offer. However, there is no magic ''crazy, out-of-the box
formula for why a boy or girl latches onto one book over another.
I believe the
commonalities among good to great books to read for younger boys (ages 7-11) or
girls starts with a writers ability to connect readers with the text;
emotionally, psychologically, and intellectually. And, folks, this is harder than it seems,
truly! Wow! What an incredibly new,
revolutionary, idea! Good to great writers conceive good to great ideas for
good to great books to read.
Outstanding!
It's the words that
matter the most! It's the words that matter the most! And now you may be questioning my writing
ability as I had to repeat myself rather writing an original thought that
sparkles with clarity and insight. There
is a difference between the designer (the writer) though, and the hardware that
provides the design, please keep this in mind. Without a talented and
experienced designer, the medium is just a medium.
A medium won't connect with another human on,
quite simply, a human level, unless it is programmed to do so. Books are still
books, yes? Words are still words, no? No level of interactivity with a reader will
not make up for a lack of good to great writing, yes?
Whether it is engaging digital interactivity,
or pop-up or scratch and sniff books- don't matter. It's the words!!!! It's the words I tell you!!!!
Great writers make
great books to read! And, yeah, I know,
duh! And, don't get me wrong, doesn't
matter what medium they write in either.
I guess I just
wanted to remind everyone.
That's all. Good day:)
No comments:
Post a Comment