Thursday, April 11, 2013

Reading with Boys

I'm beginning to wake up to the ''current reality'' that as much as I discuss my own writing and read in front of my two boys, I still don't read enough, at least with my younger guy (Jack) with him and to him. My wife continues to shoulder the majority of the load when it comes to reading with him.

And here I am writing a blog about reading with boys and getting boys to read. So, I've been assessing my involvement with my own guy.  I don't read with Jack every night, however, I'm doing better, truly. There I admitted it.  ffwwew!  Ok, I feel a little better.

And as usual, my past excuses, I'm finding out, aren't holding up. Excuses that allowed me to feel better about being Jim.  I tend to do this.  They were, ''well, Sue (my wife) likes to read with him, I'm certainly not going to take away her joy by budding in.''  Yeah, I know, this is a ''croc.''

And wow, did I find out how easy it was for her to relinquish this joy, so she could have time to jump on one of the other recurring, nightly, unfinished duties.  So, I'm trying to practice what I preach.  We're at about 50/50 right now in the reading department.

I do love reading with him.  And he likes the change of pace, of course.  Anyway, this isn't something I plan on letting slip back to 70/30.  Actually, I plan on breaking 500!  I'll continue to post on this effort:)

Here is a good site on mentoring and reading with boys that caught my attention.  
http://www.mentoringboys.com/literacy.html



Oh, you can also find me and an exerpt from Jack's Pizza Ghost here:
http://www.authorsden.com/jimwestcott




2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your reading! Strive or everyday.I am working on a group of boys books now to review for my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbara. I appreciate you commenting. Maybe, you can review Jack's Tales for me.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete